Thursday, December 15, 2011

horse play

This year is galloping by!  We did a little horsing around with letter "H" this last week:


"H" Horses: This project was a little too teacher labor intensive (lots of cutting - I think I'll do something different next year). 

I did like having the kiddos use scissors to cut the yarn and glue onto the horse's mane and tail.   
 Horse Play: I've been seeing all these ideas on blogs about setting up miniature pretend play areas.  I gave it a whirl with our plastic  horses.  (The blue tray was the quickest container that I could come up with that was a good size.  I think a box lid with some 2-3' sides would work well too. ) I taped green construction paper on top, added plastic trees, fence pieces from our farm sets, a little green tinsel (for grass) and our small plastic horses.  

My 3's didn't care much for this activity - they pulled things off the tray and wanted to carry the horses around the room.  My 4's, however, have been playing with the tray for 3 weeks now - it's a hit!





Other games we're playing:

Star Count and Match:   (idea from the Mailbox Numbers for Little Learners book)
  • Felt board
  • Felt stars
  • Number flash cards
For this game we sat in a circle around our felt board.  I had the students close their eyes while I put a certain amount of stars on the board.  Then they opened their eyes and I chose someone to count how many stars.  

After we counted I put two number flash cards out and we chose which number matched the amount of stars.

Bean Toss: (idea from prekinders.com)

  • Tray /felt
  • Cup 
  • Lima beans (painted on one side)
Toss the beans on the tray, sort the white from the red.  Which is more? Which is less?   Which color wins?







 Block Stack, More & Less: (also from prekinders.com)
  • Blocks (same size and shape)
  • Die
We played a version of a block stack game a few weeks earlier, so the kids were familiar with the concept.  We rolled the die, counted the dots and stacked the corresponding amount of blocks.  Then we rolled the die a second time, made another stack of blocks and compared stacks.






No comments:

Post a Comment